Super Bowl Sunday is coming up and it’s one of my favorite days of the year. #1 I LOVE watching the commercials. Being in the advertising industry, NFL season is an exciting season for us, especially since CBS has the Super Bowl this year (I work for the CT CBS affiliate). #2 I love the munchies! My family and friends always have huge Super Bowl parties and I find myself in a perfect seat in short reach to all the goodies. From turkey chili to delicious pepperoni bread, I try to fast to enjoy some empty calories for the big game. When I bring a snack to Super Bowl, I do try to be semi-healthy without bringing the appetizer that no one eats. A healthy guacamole or lighter spinach dip usually does the trick but this year, a friend passed along this amazing recipe for BBQ Mushroom Quesadillas. The ultimate delicious, guilt-free Super Bowl snack!
- 1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, (see Note), minced, or 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound portobello mushroom caps, (about 5 medium), gills removed, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 8- to 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Combine barbecue sauce, tomato paste, vinegar and chipotle in a medium bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring, until the onion and mushrooms are beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the bowl with the barbecue sauce; stir to combine. Wipe out the pan.
- Place tortillas on a work surface. Spread 3 tablespoons cheese on half of each tortilla and top with one-fourth (about 1/2 cup) of the filling. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium heat. Add 2 quesadillas and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into wedges and serve.
9 thoughts on “Barbeque Portobella Quesadillas”
holydeliciousness!! definitely going to try these out!
The Fashion Heels
cheese! bread! mushrooms! sold!
Xo Inna http://www.bakingincouture.com
These look scrumptious! Love portobella mushrooms… so hearty and healthy!
Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing 🙂
This looks so frigging GOOD!! And I love that you said semi-healthy – that’s how I love my food.:D
Yummy! This look so good!
This looks delicious! I have to try this on Sunday.