- 1 large eggplant, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups fine, dry bread crumbs mixed with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano, crumbled
- 16 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Wash eggplant and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices.
2. Dip into beaten eggs then dredge with seasoned bread crumbs. Place slices on a plate and chill for 30 to 45 minutes.
3. Heat about 1/8-inch of oil in a heavy skillet. Fry eggplant on both sides until golden brown and crispy.
4. Drain well on paper towels. In a saucepan, heat tomato sauce, basil, and oregano. Spread 1/3 of the sauce in a greased 12x8x2-inch baking dish. Layer half of the eggplant, half of the mozzarella cheese slices, another 1/3 of the sauce, and half the Parmesan. Repeat layers.
5. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Eggplant Parmesan serves 6. Serve over pasta and enjoy!