If there is one thing I LOVED in Italy, it was the caprese salads. I loved how fresh they were and a lot of time they served it with olives and flavored with delicious herbs to spice it up. This is an amazing recipe for your next dinner party!
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion (about 1/2 medium)
- 2 pounds medium heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup pitted green olives, halved
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced and halved
- 1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon each minced fresh basil, tarragon, mint and cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
1.In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup vinegar, and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from the heat. Cool slightly; stir in onion. Let stand for 30 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, olives, cheese, herbs and serrano pepper.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lime juice and peel and remaining vinegar; pour over tomato mixture. Drizzle with reserved marinade; toss gently to coat. Season with salt if desired. Serve immediately..